Church History

Trinity Colored Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in January 1904 in the Collegeville Community located in the northern section of Birmingham, Alabama. The initial building was a little wooden structure that was located on “The Dump”, which was a piece of land owned by the U.S. Pipe Company. In 1954 the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church changed its name to Christian Methodist Episcopal amid racial tensions.

Trinity CME Church was one of many meeting places during the Civil Rights Movement in Birmingham. The previous name of the main street that the church now sits on was Old Huntsville Road. The street name was changed in honor of one of the generals of the Civil Rights Movement, Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth, who was also the pastor of the Bethel Baptist Church located in the Collegeville community. Trinity CME Church remained at 3013 F.L. Shuttlesworth, Drive, still in the Collegeville Community, until 2015. Presently the church is in the middle of a transition to a brand new facility located in the modern Uptown District of Birmingham. The church worships in Tarrant until the bullding project is complete.

Trinity Christian Methodist Episcopal Church is a part of the CME Church which is a connectional body. Trinity CME church is in the Birmingham Region of the 5th Episcopal District of the CME church. The 5th Episcopal District is comprised of the states of Florida and Alabama.


Sunday School starts at 9:30 am

Sunday Worship starts at 11:00 am *

Wednesday Bible Study starts at 6:00 pm *

* can be viewed through the church's Facebook page weekly.